When you open the Public Folders management console on the mailbox server you get following error:
No existing 'PublicFolder' matches the following Identity: '\'. Make sure that you specified the correct 'PublicFolder' Identity and that you have the necessary permissions to view 'PublicFolder'.
In my case the problem was in missing homeMDB attribute value on mailbox server on which I got the error. To resolve the issue:
- Start ADSI Edit and connect to Configuration Naming Context
- Navigate to CN=Configuration, DC= , DC= , DC=/Services/Microsoft Exchange/Organization/Administrative Groups/Exchange Administrative Group (FYDIBOHF23SPDLT)/Servers/YOURMBXSERVER*
*Note: YOURMBXSERVER is mailbox server where you got the error
- Right-click CN=Microsoft System Attendant and then click Properties to display the Attributes list and find the homeMDB attribute.
If the homeMDB attribute has a value, make sure it points to a valid mailbox database, which is the database local to this server (in case you are using DAG)
- If the value of the homeMDB attribute is empty <not set> or not correct, you need to populate it or change to correct value.
- If the value is empty e.g. <not set> go to CN=Configuration, DC= , DC= , DC=/Services/Microsoft Exchange/Organization/Administrative Groups/Exchange Administrative Group (FYDIBOHF23SPDLT)/Databases and find the database that is LOCAL to YOURMBXSERVER (if you are using DAG, you can set different home server for different databases)
- Right-click CN=DATABASENAME and find distinguishedName attribute under Attribute editor
- Click View and copy the complete value
- Now go back to CN=Microsoft System Attendant (as in STEP 2 and 3), right click on it, select Properties, select homeMDB attribute and paste the value you copied before.
- Wait 10-15 minutes
For another possible solution check http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/exchange2010/thread/14ea8ee9-1f4c-4a0c-817b-dc7ead184e08